Military Law

The GI Bill After 9/11

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001. You may be eligible if you were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill Is Effective for Training

As of August 1, 2009, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is effective for training. Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill benefits. Also covered are tutorial assistance and licensing and certification test reimbursement.

How Much Will the GI Bill Pay?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public school in the state where the school is located. The exact amount depends on where you live and what type of degree you are pursuing. The Post 9-11 GI Bill will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition and fees, which are paid directly to the school
  • For more expensive tuition, the Yellow Ribbon Program may help cover extra costs
  • A monthly housing allowance. This is based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents at the school's location
  • For those attending foreign schools (no main campus in the U.S.), the BAH rate is fixed at $1,333.00 for 2009
  • An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals

These benefits are payable only for training at an IHL. There's no housing allowance if you're only taking online programs. There isn't a housing allowance or supplies stipend for those on active duty. Education benefits cover up to 36 months and are usually payable for 15 years after you leave active duty.

You Can Transfer Your Benefits

A special provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows career service members a chance to share their education benefits with immediate family members. The service member must have at least six years of service and commit to an additional four years of service. The benefits can be transferred to a spouse or child. In addition, you may be eligible to transfer your benefits if you have 10 years of service and are precluded from committing to four additional years, but you agree to serve the maximum amount of time allowed.

Questions for Your Attorney

  • How do I apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?
  • I am on active duty. How does this affect my benefits?
  • How will my benefits be affected if I only go to school part-time?
Have a military law question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer

Get Professional Help

Find a Military Law Basics lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you